Au pair requirements
There are certain requirements set by the The U.S. Department of State and Cultural Care Au Pair. It is important that all candidates meet these standards. Feel free to call us with any questions you have regarding your eligibility for the program.
A Cultural Care au pair:
- Is between the ages of 18 and 26 years old
- Loves kids and has at least 200 hours of experience caring for them
- Has completed (or is about to complete) secondary school (grade 12)
- Has a driver's licence or is able to obtain it before travel
- Does not have a criminal background
- Is in good physical and mental health
- Is flexible, motivated, mature and positive
- Is ready to commit to a minimum of one year abroad, with the opportunity to extend for an extra 6, 9 or 12 months after the first year
The most important qualification is a good attitude and great childcare experience. Our program requires at least 200 hours of childcare experience to be an au pair, however over 500 hours is more desirable. This can include babysitting (including relatives), volunteering or working at a daycare centre or creche, coaching children’s sports, working with a church group, tutoring children or any other type of experience working with children.